- Back to Home »
- 4 Things You Should Know Before You Eat Your Next Avocado
Tuesday, August 26, 2014
Many of us don't need to be sold on the health benefits of avocados. But did you know studies show that people who eat avocados are over-all healthier than their counterparts? Maybe this research will give those non-avocado eaters incentive to cross over and give this nutrient-packed green fruit a second look!
The avocado is considered to be one of the healthiest foods around because they contain over 25 essential nutrients, including vitamin A, B, C, E, & K, copper, iron, magnesium, phosporus, and potassium. The avocado also contains more natural fiber than any other fruit and contains protein, and several beneficial phytochemicals such as beta-sitosterol, glutathione and lutein, which may protect against various disease and illness.
So we wanted to share 4 Things You Should Know Before You Eat Your Next Avocado
1. TO CHOOSE: Lush California Hass (right) packs a wallop of healthy monounsaturated fat. A Florida avocado (left) has less flavor and less fat.
2. TO HALVE: Cut avocado in two lengthwise around its pit. Twist halves in opposite directions to separate them, and then pull apart.
3. TO PIT: First, thrust the blade of a sharp paring knife into the pit. Then twist the knife gently to loosen the pit, and lift it out.
4. TO PEEL: Pull the skin off the flesh in strips with your fingers. When the fruit is very ripe, you can often remove the skin in one piece.
You can read the complete article here in Prevention Magazine.
What is your favorite way to incorporate avocado into your diet?