Tuesday, December 16, 2014
By: Susan Connor, RN & TNT Health Educator
The holidays are a busy time of the year. The calendar is typically full of family get-togethers, holiday parties and the temptations that come along with the holiday season. This can prove to be a challenge for anyone especially if you are in the middle of working towards a health and nutrition goal. But we have you covered! Here are 10 tips to help you stay on track at holiday parties.
1) Never go to a party hungry
2) Bring a healthy dish to share
3) Choose a small plate
4) Make sure you put the food on a plate. Don’t stand and nibble with the hand to mouth munching.
5) Eat plenty of lean protein and lots of fruit and veggies. Think high fiber.
6) Fill up on water. Alternate water with alcohol or better yet, don’t indulge in the alcohol.
7) Don’t stand near the high calorie, unhealthy food.
8) Focus on conversation. It’s free.
9) Don’t wear spandex pants that will expand as you eat.
10) Eat half the food you normally would on the big days and save it for later or tomorrow! Better to eat smaller meals for blood sugar control and weight loss.