- Back to Home »
- 6 Smart Tips For Healthy Eating On A Budget
Tuesday, April 21, 2015
With food prices going up and the economy going down, the thought of preparing tasty, healthy meals on a regular basis can seem daunting. Not only is it easy to get sucked in by grocery store merchandising tricks, but it is also almost normal for most of us to fall into a mealtime rut, eating the same foods over and over. Remember, you are in control of your own kitchen. If you shop smart and cook smart, you can likely trim some real “fat” from your food budget.
So to help we've put together these 6 smart tips for eating healthy on a budget
TIPS IN THE KITCHEN
1. Start by reserving some time each week for preparation. Chopping and peeling will ensure the fresh, healthy food is ready to eat and won’t spoil before you use it.
2. Invest in clear, stackable storage containers. This too, will enable all family members to see what’s ready for them to enjoy.
3. When cooking a big meal, double the recipe, then freeze half, or use for leftovers or lunches.
4. Keep your dishes simple to stay in your budget. Complicated recipes that require exotic ingredients (only to be used once) will increase the cost per meal.
5. Consider investing in a slow cooker. One pot meals are both time and money saving.
6. View cooking as an adventure the whole family can enjoy. Even small children can be taught to mix.
There is no magic formula to cooking on a budget. Like anything else worthwhile in life, it does take a little planning, creativity, and work. Think of the rewards – better health and more money – you’ll find it’s worth the effort. No doubt, there will still be those days when you might have to fall back on a microwave meal or even food through the window. It goes back to that age old argument, time verses money. Now, when you factor in the investment of good health, spending a little time now can save you countless dollars in you and your family’s future!