- Back to Home »
- 12 Facts About High Fructose Corn Syrup
Thursday, May 28, 2015
High Fructose Corn Syrup (HFCS) is a common sweeter found in soda and other fruit flavored drinks. The use of this type of sweetener has certainly been on the rise leading many to wonder if it is contributing to the increase of obesity and other related health problems in our country.
The main component of HFCS is the fructose. Fructose makes up 55% of HFCS, where glucose makes up the other 45%. HFCS is not the only culprit of bad health among all the sugars out there. It is fructose that is the main culprit of bad health. See more at mayoclinic.com.
12 Facts About High Fructose Corn Syrup
1. Adds to the visceral fat in the body
2. Decreases insulin sensitivity
3. Raises triglyceride levels, leading to metabolic syndrome
4. Almost all calories from fructose get absorbed by the liver. Those calories then get turned into fat whether you need those calories or not. That fat is released into the blood stream, which leads to an increase in triglyceride levels (Leading to metabolic syndrome)
5. For glucose, the liver with only absorb the glucose calories if its needed and most will go to the blood stream as sugar instead of fat, but it will cause an increase in your blood sugar levels.
6. Consuming to much HFCS, will raise triglyceride levels after a meal, which can cause a heart attack, especially if the triglyceride levels are 150 mg/dl or higher
7. Fructose contributes to the increase in Uric Acid in the blood stream. If there is too much Uric Acid in the blood stream, the excess gets sent to the joints causing Gout.
8. High-fructose diets block the leptin signals, which tell your brain that you are full, this can then lead to over-eating and weight gain.
9. After a meal, triglyceride levels in the blood are increased more with fructose as opposed to glucose
10. Along with other sugars, fructose can effect how your body breaks down healthy foods which can ultimately cause you to gain weight if you eat them in addition to all your healthy foods
11. Soft Drinks and sugary drinks add 21% of added sugar to your daily diet and do not curb the appetite so the added calories can lead to weight gain
12. Sugar contributes to an increase in blood pressure because
What comes to mind when you think of High Fructose Corn Syrup?
Call 704-549-9550 or visit www.tntgetfit.com for more information