- Back to Home »
- In-Season Recipe to Try This Weekend!
Tuesday, October 20, 2015
Brussels Sprouts with Bacon, Garlic and Shallots
|Photo: Charles Masters|
For two full vegetable exchanges for each 2/3 cup serving, this treat for your taste buds, found on MyRecipes will seem too good to be true! And, because it's an easy dish, it goes great on busy days or days when you don't feel too much like cooking (think: day after Thanksgiving)! Enjoy!
- 6 slices center-cut bacon, chopped
- 1/2 cup sliced shallot (about 1 large)
- 1 1/2 pounds Brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved
- 6 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 3/4 cup fat-free, lower-sodium chicken broth
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Preparation:1. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add bacon, and sauté for 5 minutes or until bacon begins to brown. Remove pan from heat. Remove the bacon from pan with a slotted spoon, reserving 1 tablespoon drippings in pan (discard the remaining drippings).
2. Return pan to medium-high heat, and stir in bacon, shallot, and Brussels sprouts; sauté 4 minutes. Add garlic, and saute for 4 minutes or until garlic begins to brown, stirring frequently. Add the chicken broth, and bring to a boil. Cook for 2 minutes or until the broth mostly evaporates and the sprouts are crisp-tender, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat; stir in salt and pepper.