- Back to Home »
- Milky Mama Basket
Monday, February 24, 2014
By: Stacey Gretka - TNT Health Educator
Being a milky mama can be easy with the right foods. Try to include some of these in every snack and meal of every day. An asterisk (*) indicates the food item will help the milk to let down the first time, while all are helpful in increasing your supply, and helping to make Babyfit strong and healthy!
• Lactation Cookies* (contains oats, brewer’s yeast, and flax)
• Raw Almonds (or cashews or macadamia nuts)
• Spinach (and other dark leafy greens)
• Carrots (and other orange-red root veggies like beets or yams)
• Hummus (and other legumes, like lentils and lima beans)
• Flaxseed (and other healthy fats, makes your milk fattier)
• Papaya (be careful with certain medications)
• Brown rice
• Apricots (especially dried)
• Salmon (makes your milk fattier)
If you have a hard time getting your milk to come in after 3-4 days or your supply seems low, you can try Fenugreek Tea (like Mother’s Milk) or Barley Water. Both should be consumed warm and with a small amount of sweetener to taste. Hot showers almost always work, too!