- Back to Home »
- How to Pick & Cut a Perfect Watermelon
Wednesday, July 30, 2014
We love watermelon. It is simply a fruit that just screams summer. It's cool, refreshing and packed with vitamin A and C. But how do you pick the perfect watermelon AND them keep kitchen prep to a minimum? Look no further! Thanks for Lil' Luna here are some tips for picking the perfect watermelon...
HOW TO PICK OUT A GOOD WATERMELON:
- Look for the Large Yellow Spot – This is where the watermelon was laying in the field. Make sure it’s a decent size and is yellow.
- Give it a Good Thump – You want to make sure it sounds hollow.
- Dull Outside – You want to make sure the outside of the watermelon looks dull and not shiny. A shiny watermelon means its not ripe.
- Lift it Up – You want to make sure it’s heavy for it’s size, which means it has a ton of water in it (what you want!!)
- Nice Oval Shape – A uniform-shaped watermelon shows that it got the perfect amount of sunshine and water.
- Bee Stings and White Scars – Look for these little guys. These little marks show that it’s sweet enough that even the bees were trying to get to the inside. The stings look like brown lines or dots on the melon.
And now that you have the PERFECT watermelon here is a fast and easy way to cut it up. A great way to serve watermelon at a picnic OR just for the family at home!
In addition to being cool and refreshing, there are several health benefits to watermelon. Here are just a few:
- Packed with potassium to lower risk of high blood pressure
- Bursting with Vitamin B6 to help the brain
- Contains Vitamin C to boost your immune system
- Loaded with Lycopene (more than any other fruit), to protect skin from the sun.
What is your favorite way to eat watermelon?
Be sure to follow TNT on social media
Sign up for Total Nutrition Technology's Monthly Newsletter