- Back to Home »
- Hash browns are healthy? When you make them like this they are!
Thursday, November 5, 2015
Wake Up to A Fresh Start: Hash Browns Remade
|Photo by James Ransom of Food52 and TheFullHelping.Com|
From the kitchen of Health Educator, Stephanie Matson, this recipe goes perfect with the "eat the rainbow" theme! "I've been making a sweet potato kale hash in the morning for breakfast a lot lately and it's delicious! It's also a great way to sneak in your vegetables." Thanks, Stephanie, for the great tip!!
- 1 c. diced sweet potato
- 1/3 c. diced red bell pepper
- 1/4 c. diced onion
- 1 c. chopped kale
- 1/3 c. chopped mushrooms
- 4 egg whites
- 1 oz part skim mozzarella cheese
- Seasonings to taste: salt, pepper, red pepper flakes (cumin & chili powder also really good with this)
- Dice up sweet potato and put into microwavable container- microwave for about 6 minutes or until easy to pierce with fork.
- Chop up red bell pepper, onion, and mushrooms. Spray nonstick skillet with olive oil spray/PAM and saute vegetables until soft.
- Once sweet potatoes are fully cooked, add them to the skillet of vegetables.
- Chop up the kale and add that to the skillet. Place lid over the skillet so the kale will wilt down and the potatoes can brown. This takes about 3-5 minutes (or until they have browned to your preference)
- While this is cooking, cook egg whites in a separate pan. Once done, add to the skillet of vegetables and add desired seasonings and cheese.