Total Nutrition Technology
Monday, October 5, 2015



Behind every healthy person is a snacker - something that can hold them over to the next meal, prevent over consumption, provide a steady energy source, and simply make them feel good. And yet it seems that navigating the snack aisle is one of the hardest skills to master. And despite the need for a great go-to snack, finding solutions for each person without getting to know them can be a serious challenge since Health Educators and Dietitians don't know what the meals themselves look like. For example, if your meals all contain veggies, it's probably not necessary that your snacks consist solely of them. If your meals consist mainly of grains or starchy vegetables, it's probably best to avoid the notorious granola bars. And yet the majority of our team no longer counts exchanges or plots their every food move (a goal we hope to help each client reach as well). 

So how do they snack? Well, I polled the team and compiled some of their favorite go-to snacks:


Rick Belden: "Almost every day, I eat a small handful of raw unsalted almonds mixed 50/50 with "Chile Lime" flavored cashews, 1 apple, and 2 cups of skim milk."


Sue Compitello: "I'm a green apple and PB or almond butter girl, especially mid-am - always feel full and have good energy to make good choices at lunch."

Stephanie Hollands: "An apple with 2 teaspoons of natural peanut butter. Gets me through that late afternoon slump."



Meghan Neary: "For my afternoon snack I choose rice cakes with peanut butter & jam, and for my morning snack - cottage cheese with hot sauce, minced onion and chives !! Yummm!!!"



Darnell Jones: "I go for an oatmeal smoothie: 1/4 cup steel oats, as much spinach as you want, 1 serving of PB2, 3/4 cup coconut milk or coconut water, and (optional) 1 medium Banana."



Susanne Ware: "I eat a Think Thin bar when I'm on-the-go, or a mixture of fruits, like pineapple, grapes, cantaloupe."



Kim Norton-Krecker: "Pine nut hummus and raw sugar snap peas and red peppers. Satisfies need for crunch, fat and extra veggies. Plus, it's quick and easy."



Stacey Gretka: "I typically go for an ounce of low-fat cheddar cheese, 6 almonds or cashews, and 2 tablespoons of whatever dried fruit I have - usually raisins or dried apricots, but I like dried blueberries and cranberries, too. Top it off with a glass of water." 



Angela Gallo-Wilkinson: "​I go for Greek yogurt - easy to pack and satisfies my sweet tooth or a handful of nuts or seeds for same reason... and right now Trader Joe's has yummy spiced pumpkin seeds - to die for.. and I even add these to my Greek yogurt!"




- Copyright © Fitbits-