Total Nutrition Technology
Thursday, June 4, 2015

By: TNT Founder - Angela Wilkinson, RD

A refreshing mix of juicy watermelon with fresh basil and grilled halloumi cheese – the perfect way to cool down in the summer heat!




I don’t know about you guys but I LOVE watermelon!   I am always looking for new ways to serve up some watermelon for my family.  We were having a family cookout the other weekend and I was struck by inspiration from my latest purchase at Trader Joe's -- Halloumi Grilling Cheese!  Have you ever tried grilling cheese?  Fabulous!  And halloumi is by far my favorite.  In my book, it's the king of grilling cheese. 

Halloumi is a salty, semi-hard goat and sheep milk cheese from Cyprus.   Halloumi has a high melting point making it PERFECT for grilling. I found mine at Trader Joe's but have seen it in the specialty cheese section in several area grocery stores.  

Out of the package, halloumi is more hard and dense but once you put it on the grill or sliced it into a frying pan, the outside becomes golden-brown and crispy with a soft center.  It's amazing how this cheese transforms into a mouthwatering chewy bite without actually melting.

The moment I bought it, I thought...watermelon salad!  This is the perfect refreshing salad for any occasion.  It will certainly be the hit with the whole crowd.  It's an incredibility simple salad with only 3 ingredients making it the perfect and refreshing on a hot summer day!

WATERMELON SALAD WITH HALLOUMI GRILLING CHEESE

Serves: 4
Serving size: 1 cup
Exchanges: 1 fruit and 1 dairy

INGREDIENTS
4 cups watermelon - cut into bite-sized cubes
1 handful of fresh basil - julienned or torn into small pieces
4 oz of Halloumi grilling cheese 

DIRECTIONS
1. Cook cheese according to package instructions, remove from pan or grill and cut each slice into bite size pieces.
2. In a large bowl combine watermelon cubes, grillled cheese and fresh basil.
3. Toss lightly and serve!

Enjoy!


_____________________________________________________________________________________________

You might also like...






- Copyright © Fitbits-