- ► 2015 (163)
- ▼ July (7)
Archive for July 2014
We love watermelon. It is simply a fruit that just screams summer. It's cool, refreshing and packed with vitamin A and C. But how do you pick the perfect watermelon AND them keep kitchen prep to a minimum? Look no further! Thanks for Lil' Luna here are some tips for picking the perfect watermelon...
HOW TO PICK OUT A GOOD WATERMELON:
- Look for the Large Yellow Spot – This is where the watermelon was laying in the field. Make sure it’s a decent size and is yellow.
- Give it a Good Thump – You want to make sure it sounds hollow.
- Dull Outside – You want to make sure the outside of the watermelon looks dull and not shiny. A shiny watermelon means its not ripe.
- Lift it Up – You want to make sure it’s heavy for it’s size, which means it has a ton of water in it (what you want!!)
- Nice Oval Shape – A uniform-shaped watermelon shows that it got the perfect amount of sunshine and water.
- Bee Stings and White Scars – Look for these little guys. These little marks show that it’s sweet enough that even the bees were trying to get to the inside. The stings look like brown lines or dots on the melon.
And now that you have the PERFECT watermelon here is a fast and easy way to cut it up. A great way to serve watermelon at a picnic OR just for the family at home!
In addition to being cool and refreshing, there are several health benefits to watermelon. Here are just a few:
- Packed with potassium to lower risk of high blood pressure
- Bursting with Vitamin B6 to help the brain
- Contains Vitamin C to boost your immune system
- Loaded with Lycopene (more than any other fruit), to protect skin from the sun.
What is your favorite way to eat watermelon?
Be sure to follow TNT on social media
Sign up for Total Nutrition Technology's Monthly Newsletter
Omega-3 fatty acids is lacking in most people's diet. These essential fatty acids (EFAs) must be ingested through your diet. EFAs play important roles in many cellular functions, and they help prevent the onset of many diseases.
Eating fish and seafood such as salmon, halibut, tuna and scallops a few times a week is an easy way to increase your omega-3 intake. However, if you have trouble getting in enough Omega-3s from your diet, you can also look to an Essential Fats Supplement. Here is just a short list of the many health benefits of omega-3 fatty acids.
Health Benefits of Omega-3 Fatty Acids
TNT's Essential Fats contains high amounts of both EPA and DHA, offering a precise blend of the aforementioned health benefits at an extremely affordable price. Each capsule of Omega EssentialsTM offers a precise blend of EPA/DHA in very appreciable amounts, rendering it extremely effective as well. TNT Essential Fats is made in limited runs using Soft Gel Technologies® Marine LipidsTM with vitamin E (mixed tocopherols) added to avoid oxidation so freshness and potency are guaranteed.
Summer is the perfect time to use the grill but remember to think beyond the burgers and chicken! Have you ever thought about grilling fruit? It intensifies the flavors and enhances the natural sweetness making it the perfect healthy dessert.
Fruitsandveggiesmorematters.org has some great tips for grilling fruit this summer...
- Choose fruits and veggies that are ripe, but not too soft so they’ll hold up well on the grill.
- Avoid direct heat or flames.
- Cut fruits and vegetables into large equal pieces to keep them from falling through the grates and to ensure even cooking.
- Grill fruits and vegetables with the skin on to help maintain the shape.
- Before or during grilling, brush fruits and vegetables with melted butter or margarine to help avoid sticking to the grates.
Fruits are naturally sweet and become even sweeter with grilling. You can add a tasty twist to your grilled fruit by sprinkling with cinnamon or lemon juice.
Vegetables can be flavored with herbs and spices of your choice. Browned grill marks are desirable on vegetables; they are fully cooked when you can gently pierce with a fork.
Caution – fruits and vegetables contain a lot of water that can become very hot when grilled. Be sure to allow proper cooling time.
What to Grill?
- Nectarines, Bananas, Mangos & Peaches. These options come with an extra side of potassium, which is necessary for the heart, kidneys, and other organs to work normally.
- Cantaloupe, Tomatoes, Watermelon & Squash. These options offer a great source of Vitamin A, which helps keep vision, skin and hair healthy.
- Pineapples, Strawberries, Peppers & Broccoli. These options contain Vitamins C and E, antioxidants that work to protect your cells against the effects of free radicals. Vitamin E is found in avocado, nectarines, potatoes, and kiwi.
This quick, low-calorie, nutritious dessert is sure to have your taste buds dancing! For a little extra sweetness, pair kabobs with a scoop of low-fat vanilla ice cream.Grilled Fruit Kebabs
Preparation: 15-20 minutesCook: 8-10 minutesServings: About 8
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 apples, cored and cut into 1" pieces
- 2 bananas, peeled and cut into 1" pieces
- 2 peaches, pitted and cut into 1" pieces
- 4 kiwifruit, peeled and sliced into 1" pieces
- 3 cups cubed pineapple (1" pieces)
- 3 cups strawberries, washed and hulled
- 8 wooden skewers, soakedDirections
- Prepare grill.
- In a small bowl, combine oil, lime juice, and cinnamon. Mix well.
- If using wooden skewers, soak in water for about 10 minutes to prevent scorching. Alternate fruit pieces and thread onto skewers.
- Brush kebabs with the lime juice mixture then place on grill.
- Grill kebabs for about 6 t0 8 minutes, turning frequently until fruit starts to brown and is heated through.Nutrition Information:
Calories: 156, Total Fat: 4.0 g (Saturated Fat 1g, Monounsaturated Fat 3g, Polyunsaturated Fat 0g), Cholesterol 0mg; Sodium 3mg; Carbohydrate 31g, Fiber 5g; Protein 2g
Technique is important when exercising to prevent injury and ensure that you are getting the maximum benefit of the exercise. Here is a little reminder on how to perform a push up.
Technique is important when exercising to prevent injury and ensure that you are getting the maximum benefit of the exercise. Here is a little reminder on how to perform a proper squat.